Greenshoots is the social inclusion project of The Green Team that delivers customised, practical, environmental and outdoor learning experiences to groups of young people from Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Each programme is tailored to meet the needs of the young people and the project is specifically designed to support and engage young people who may be socially isolated or find learning in the traditional school environment challenging.
The projects aim to create a safe and inclusive environment for young people to connect with nature, themselves and others:
- Develop participants connection to nature and understanding of the environment around us
- Increase personal resilience, confidence and self esteem
- Promote teamwork and positive ways of working with others
- Develop life skills and confidence through practical conservation tasks and working together in a small group setting and supportive environment
- deepen our connection to nature through learning basic wilderness living skills and nature awareness techniques
- Work towards the Discovery level of the John Muir award
We tend to offer two routes for our Green Shoots programmes:
- Multi-Schools Programme where pupils from across several schools join together to create one 8-10 week project visiting a variety of local sites
- Forest School approach, working with one school, generally in a single location.
If you are working with a young person who you feel would benefit from learning outside, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the opportunities. Alternatively, please complete an application form and send to us by post or email.